Precision Water Jet Cutting of a Silicone Connector Seal for Electronic Applications
Miller Gasket was commissioned to fabricate a connector seal for use in an electronic application. Utilizing our advanced flow water jet equipment, 60 durometer silicone material was manipulated with a precision water cutting process to create the 92 pin connector, holding the tightest tolerance of 0.005” during cutting, and less than 5° of draft. In-process inspection was performed utilizing our state-of-the-art Micro-Vu Vertex measuring center to ensure accuracy and integrity.
Overall dimensions of the finished seal were 3.16” by .295”, with a thickness of 3/8”. This project was performed to the ASME Y14, 5M-1994 standards for tolerancing. 2000 to 5000 units were created for this project, completed after a 3 week turnaround time. We were able to keep tooling costs for this fabrication at zero.
For more details about this silicone connector seal water jet cutting fabrication or our other micro manufacturing capabilities please see the table below or contact us directly.
Water Jet Cutting Highlights of a Connector Seal for Electronic Applications
- Product Description
- Silicone connector seal
Make a seal for a 92 pin connector using 3/8” thick Silicone holding +/-.005
tolerance and less than 5 degrees of draft.
- Capabilities Applied/Processes
- Primary: Water Jet Cutting
- Equipment Used to Manufacture Part
- Flow Water Jet
- Precision Water Cutting
- Overall Part Dimensions
- 3.16” x .295”
- Tightest Tolerances
- ±.005” and ≤ 5° of draft
- Material Used
- 60 Durometer .375” (3/8”) thick Silicone
- Material Finish
- In process testing/inspection performed
- In process inspection performed on our MICRO-VU VERTEX MEASURING CENTER
- Industry for Use
- 2000 - 5000
- Delivery/Turnaround Time
- 3 Weeks
- Delivery Location
- Customer Specifications, 2D CAD Drawing (USA)
- Standards Met
- ASME Y14, 5M-1994
- Product Name
- 92 Pin Connector Seal
- Additional Facts
- Tooling Cost: 0
- Why did you choose this project to show case?
- Micro manufacturing capabilities and tight tolerances
- Other related capabilities not used in case study, but require mention
- Die Cutting, Laser Cutting